Sunday, April 25, 2010

Bacon Wrapped Bay Scallops


So for my dad's birthday, he requested I make Bacon Wrapped Bay Scallops. At first, I was a little grossed out by the idea of wrapping an animal with an animal but my dad really wanted this dish. I put my bias on the back burner and started making the dish.

Prepping the scallops was easier than I though. They were extremely slimy and fishy smelling but after rinsing them, they were easy to work with. I cut the large scallops in half then wrapped each scallop in a half a strip of bacon and secured it with a wooden toothpick. I used hickory smoked bacon for a bolder flavor.

Next, I sprinkled the bacon wrapped scallops with a little salt and pepper and added a touch of butter to both sides. I then arranged the scallops in a deep baking dish. I then sprinkled chopped yellow onion, parsley and green peppers over the scallops and drizzle them with with EVOO (extra Virgin Olive Oil) before broiling. Them turned out amazing!!

12 large sea scallops (cut in half)
12 pieces of bacon (cut in half)
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/8 tsp lemon pepper (optional but gives contrast to the hickory bacon)
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1/4 cup EVOO

Bake at 425 degrees turning once for 20 to 30 minutes or until done! ENJOY!!

1 comment:

  1. Yummy...I've done that but with whole water chestnuts. The key is to soak them overnight in a mixture of soy sauce and brown suger. Then the next day wrap the bacon around them. Really, Really good.
    I'll make them for you sometime. Is soy sauce okay for you? Help me think of something else to use instead of bacon...

    ReplyDelete